Tuesday 7 October 2008

Titles for titles

So, input boxes on websites are funny things.
As anyone with basic html knowledge will tell you, ‹input› will display a box where you can enter...things. You can give these boxes names, and not just for sentimental value, (although, that'd be great..) , they actually do have a use..and that use is to send information from one page to the next.
The problem comes when you use a generic name for your input box, such as "title", like this blogging system does. Now, how many websites do you think use an input box with the name title, go on...have a guess...well I can tell you it's a hell of a lot of websites and when you've entered thousands of things into those text boxes and go to type something new into one to say, start a new blog post, you get a very long list of things that you typed and can't remember why.

Here are a few of my titles from previous websites:
Untitled album (side note, I used to think when I was little that untitled actually said united, it wasn't until about the age of 12 when I actually read what MS Paint wanted to save my files as that I noticed it was Untitled..)
Test 2
Test 3
Test 5 (no love for test 4?)
ggdsf
crunchman
mov too?
test server
Render test

I don't think I'm ever going to remember why I posted those to some website somewhere.
Maybe someone will, somewhere.

No comments: